Activity

Find our plastic sea creatures

Up to 8 million tonnes of plastic waste enters our oceans every year. It can float or sink and travel in ocean currents. It can collect in huge garbage patches covering areas up to three times the size of France. 

Plastic makes up 80% of all marine debris – around 80% of this coming from land-based sources, and the remaining 20% from fishing and aquaculture.

Many people are concerned about the effect of plastics on marine life. A Story of the Motherfish was a series of artworks created by the community, using plastic debris, that explored the story of fish evolution and adaptation, and the possible consequences of micro-plastics in the ocean.

Did you know? Every day approximately 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans. There may now be around 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic pieces floating in our ocean.

Categories:

Tags: